[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Catastrophic coolant loss (91 318)

Last friday I wrote to the list with  my concern about stories I had been
told about castrophic coolant loss after a blown seal on the 16 valve 1.8
liter engine. Apparently this is only a problem in the 91 model year. The
one case I was told about in detail involved a toasted engine at 49K. What I
didn't mention in my original note was that in this case the car was still
under warranty and thus the owner got the engine replaced with no charge.
Now my car just passed out of warranty so I become extremely concerned
when I read Jason Wong's reply to my note (see attached). My sources
have hinted that some recall may be coming down the pike on this one so
this is something to watch for. In the interim I'm sure all of us 91
318 owners would appreciate any further information people might have.

Thanks
Dave Manderscheid
91 318is 28K

Jason Wong wrote:

<<

About a year and a half ago, the front seal failed on my '91 318is at about
70,000 mi. I was at my friend's house where we had just loaded a couple sea
kayaks onto my roof rack and crammed the car with gear. As we were ready to
pull out of his driveway to go kayaking for the day, my friend noticed a
small puddle under my car.

I assumed there was a leak in the radiator or a hose and drove it to a shop
open on Saturday where the ruptured seal was diagnosed (I carried extra water
in the trunk and it was a short drive). BMW NA wouldn't cover it, but the
local dealer gave me a 20% discount on the job of replacing the seal--over
$1,000 after discount).

I was lucky that my friend noticed the leak before we had left and no other
engine damage occurred, though I wish I bought the extended warranty (or
drove less.)

I'd be interested in hearing about any information on possible recalls--maybe
I can get compensation--but I doubt they'll do it. It would be too expensive.