[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

1995 M3 first two weeks impressions.

Hello everybody ,

Since my post about purchasing an M3 because the RX7 did not proove to be a
reliable car, I have received many requests for a comparison between the two
cars. Since I do not have dyno sheets and track numbers, read the following
disclaimers :

    The information below was compiled by my brain, and unlike a COBOL
    compiler, my brain lets a lot of errors go by unrecognized.
    I only test drove the RX7 for a dozen miles so I am propably not qualified
    for doing this. I will mention some dangerous speeds in the text below.
    Everything was done on empty roads in the early morning hours. If any
    lawyers or Poleech are reading : when I write mph, I am using the metric
    system and I refer to Meters per Hour :)

I drove my new AVUS blue M3 to Florida (I reside in Maryland) so I could get
the break in process done in a few days ;)

Suspension / ride.
==================
The ride is a lot more comfortable than the RX7 R1 that I had driven. The M3
drives like a go-kart without bruising your kidneys. I am not the Oldsmobuick
type when it comes to suspension. As a matter of fact my race Huinday had rock
hard Tokicos and I loved them. But after a few months you get tired of the
pain and noise. Back to the M3. I was doing 3 lane changes around 85mph and
the car felt like it did not lean at all. It felt horizontal and rock solid.

In comparison to RX7 R1, both cars exhibited the same amount of handling while
speeding on highway entry/exit ramps. If the R1 has an edge, we will need a
track to proove it.

I travelled to Florida for the weekend in order to break in the car as soon as
possible.  On the way there, I did not exceed 80mph in order to safely break
in the engine. The car was so much fun to drive at any speed. Even on the bad
pavement I-95 has through the Carolinas. Annoying vibrations did not reach my
seats, while camber changes and uneven surfaces were felt instantly.
Pothholes do not induce hernia; the car lets you know you did a bad thing,
but it doesn't punish you at all ( also see : Menendez brothers)
I dont know how BMW does it but it felt great. The RX7 also points like an
arrow, but I had to explain to my girlfriend that true sports cars must be
rock hard because she was complaining all the time.

Engine
======================
Comparing the RX7 rotary w/ the BMW Inline Six ,24v variable valve timing
is like comparing apples and oranges, not in terms of performance but in terms
of engine type.

The RX7 accelarates like a rocket when the second turbo spools up ( 4500rpm).
The M3 is more linear in its accelaration by design. There's no turbo to spool
up and the inline six revs up faster than a Cuisinart. Its like a Honda V-Tech
but it sounds hell of lot better.I was not afraid to redline the M3 because it
sounded so sweet at 6k rpm . You feel that the car does not "hurt" at 6500rpm,
its more like a "it hurts but I like it" sensation :)--!<

While driving back (averaging about 90mph on I95 @ 23mpg consumption) I
decided to find out when the ECU will kill the injectors. So I floored it and
after a some seconds I hit 138mph. The M3 felt like I was cruising doing
50mph. When the governor kicked in I decided to slow down, and just then I saw
a cop hidding on the side of the road ! Fortunantly I had already begun the
slowdown process so I got away this time :) I guess the Speed Angel was with
me that day.

If you like the turbo rush, the RX7 will deliver like no other (<100k) car
can. If you like the flat power curve and "put it in 5th all day" driving
style the M3 is perfect. IMHO the RX7 is harder to drive fast in real life and
on the track. Keeping track with boost pressure, trying not to achieve full
boost while on a turn etc. requires more work from the driver. I remember some
scary moments when I downshifted from 5th in order to make a wide turn, and
then reached full boost on the 4th gear that kicked the rear out on me. Yeah I
know Peter Falwell would do that, but I am not him anyway.

The M3 in the rain is very safe IF you're
feather footed. Downshifts can be dangerous (trust me ... ) As for the RX7, I
have not driven it on rain, but I would assume the same holds true
(especially because of the turbo ).

Brakes :
==========
Both cars have killer brakes. The RX7 comes with 11 inch rotors , the M3 comes
with 12.8 inch (correct if I am wrong on this one).

Stereo / Sound :
===================
Both the Rx7 and M3 have killer stereos. (250watts)

Dealer /service:
Well we all now about the Mazda dealer attitudes. very satisfied with the BMW
dealer.

In conclusion I would recommend to everybody to go test drive an M3. When you
do, MAKE SURE you get the car over 4500 rpm. It does no justice to the car
if you dont' drive it the way it was meant. That 1st to 2nd shift at 6500 is
orgasmic. The 235-40-17s will spin (a little). Also pop up the hood. The
engine bay looks very sexy indeed. Everything is neatly packaged.