[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Location of 533i OBC relay?

          I have a friend with an '83 533i that has a very
          intermittent starting problem.  Sometimes when the key is
          turned, absolutely nothing happens.   Let the car sit a
          while and then it will crank right up.  It happens whether
          the car is warm or cold and regardless if it is warm or cold
          outside.  By jumpering straight from the battery to the 12v
          side of the main relay, the car will start.  Of course since
          it's very intermittent it's being a real bugger to identify.
          He suspects two things at this point.

          1) The ignition switch.

          2) The OBC relay (wherever the 'Code' or 'Lock' functions go
          to).  The problem is that he can't find this relay.  Bentley
          says ".. under the dash on the left..." The 3 relays he's
          found are for windows, interior dimmers and something else
          (I can't remember).  Does anyone know where this relay is so
          it can be diagnosed?

          BTW, he never uses the 'Code' or 'Lock' functions of the
          OBC.  If anyone (DJE?) has a clue, please email directly.

          matt

          TENCCUA.brumwe01@domain.elided

          '75 2002 w/ Fred Flintstone syndrome
          '87 535is