[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

2002 Emergency Brake Problems

Having dispensed advice of all sorts to this list over the past 8
months, it's now my turn to ask for some. This one ought to be
easy, but I can't quite sort it out. My hand brake is operating only
marginally as a parking brake, and has little or no effect as an
emergency brake when applied with the car moving. Having once
been the driver of a car that popped a brake line at speed, I am
keenly aware of the need for a functioning emergency brake.

Here's the story:

- - '76 2002, carefully maintained.
- - E-brake cable new about 30,000 miles ago, does not appear to be
binding.
- - Shoes and drums new about 10,000 miles ago. Plenty of lining left
on shoes; drums appear good, with no scoring.
- - Inside the drum on both sides, the actuator for the e-brake moves
3/4" or so when the hand brake lever is applied, retracts when the
lever is released. No binding of the mechanism that I can see.
- - Brakes are properly adjusted.
- - No slack in handbrake cables.

Yet despite all this, I'm getting very little stopping power when I
tug on the lever, even if I apply considerable force. In my wife's
Jetta, by contrast, it's easy to lock the rear wheels with the e-brake,
and one can use it alone to stop smartly from any speed, without
touching the pedal. What do the Net sages have to say about this
one? Could the linings have become "glazed" and ineffective? Two
authorities, including my usual parts source (Greenfield) say it
isn't likely. Is there some special regulation procedure that one
needs to follow? Or does it sound like one or more components
need replacement? Would those pricey "Velvet Touch" linings (if
available for 2002) offer any improvement?This shouldn't be all
that mysterious, but at this point I'm baffled, and will be very
grateful for any advice.

Jay Panetta
Music Department, Wellesley College