[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Alarm & CD Changer

>>why mess with an aftermarket? The Alpine unit made for BMW can be purchased
through a dealer in Rondel for $325 to $350. Since the car is pre-wired,
installation takes about 2 hours at the most.

Because that same Alpine unit that you are buying for $325 to $350 costs $130
(Alpine 8026).  Much like the same Alpine CD changer costs about $450 versus
the BMW CD changer (made by Alpine) costs $600 to $700 (?).  Saving $200
sounds
VERY ATTRACTIVE to me, especially if I don't mind the hassle of
installation.>>

Armand,
I paid $435 for my CD changer through a dealer ad in Rondel. This unit, made
by Alpine for BMW, has a proprietary wiring harness that uses fiber optic
cable to connect to the tuner in the dash. Not something you'd want to use a
kludge on.

As for the alarm, the wiring harness  uses a 12-pin connector on each end. I
suppose if you were able to obtain a wiring diagram it may be possible to
self wire, but IMHO, unless you're an EE, why risk screwing up your
electrical system to save $200?

If you like, I could send you a zerox of the installation instructions.

Regards,
Jeff
93' 318iS
84' 318i