[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Brake squeal/FAQ

> ==============================
> Section 13.6:   Why is there break squealing/vibration?
>
> A:  (by Roy Kao)
>
> The problem of brake squealing seems common on all German cars, where
> the use of more metal in the brake pads seems prevalent.  I have a
> '93 VW Corrado and an '88 635CSi and we've had the brake rotors ground
> a couple of times and the squeal comes back.  The service managers from
> both VW and BMW say that the pads are the culprit and this cannot be
> helped with newer factory pads.  Just in case you're wondering, my
> friend's '91 MB 560SEL also has a brake squeal problem and the answer
> has been the same.

Maybe it's just a myth I picked up somewhere (don't remember where),
but I always thought that this is normal with the asbestos-free pads?
*Is* that a myth? After all, I would think that US auto-makers are using
asbestos-free pads as well... Any new insights from anyone?

Cheers,
            Tilman

Tilman Bohn
Fakult"at f"ur Physik und Astronomie
Universit"at Heidelberg
<TBOHN@domain.elided>

"Every thing that is possible to be believ'd, is an image of truth."
                                                    - William Blake
"I believe that William Blake was wrong."
                                                    - Pat Galea