[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

e34 shocks (resend)

>	We are looking at a 1991 535i with 83,000 miles.  We drove it this
>weekend, and it seemed 'floaty'.  As we've never driven a newer 5'er before,

>and my most recent new BMW drive was the new M3, we're not sure if this is
>normal for this car (with stock suspension) or if it needs new shocks.  It
>didn't seem nearly as steady as the M3, but I realize it's a heavier car.
>	Can I get a reading from the 535i owners out there if this car normally
>rides this way, or if we should reduce our offer to accomodate new shocks.
>BTW, I don't mean to imply the car rides like my parent's Buick; itis still
>solid, just a bit less firm than I was expecting.

Had a similar prob with an 62K 89 535i; when compared to a 93 525i, it was
way mushy and tended to fishtail during spirited driving.

I ended up getting Bilstein Sport shocks and Racing Dynamics springs. This
might be venturing a little too far into the sport sedan category for some
folks-- the ride is a little stiff, you become far more aware of pebbles (not
to mention grooves) on the road.

On the other hand, the handling is 200% better. There's a real feeling of
tight,secure fun on the twisties and I had the great good fortune to try it
on Sebring's curves a few weeks ago. It clung in there pretty darn well for a
mid-size sedan.

I've heard many things about different shocks and springs, depending on who
you ask. Decide on your wants and use requirements. Good luck, and feel free
to e-mail me direct.

W.B. Gerard