[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Manual transmission lubricant

Hi,

When my local BMW workshop changed the oil in my manual gearbox they put
in ordinary engine oil, Castrol GTX/3 (not sure about the 3). When I asked the
mechanic if it wasn't hazardous to use ordinary engine oil in the gearbox, he
answered that the lubrication properties are the same as for dedicated gearbox
oil and that the benefit is smooth change when the gearbox is both warm and
cold (especially when the gear box is cold since multigrade (~ 15W40) engine
oil has 'high' viscousity when cold).

Were I live it's getting cold now (-5 Celsius for now) and the changing is
very smooth from start, so it works.

This summer I drove south (to Croatia) through Germany, which means a lot of
Autobahn with high speeds and high temperature. I had no problems with the
changing, it was always smooth.

Tihomir,
Karlstad, Sweden

83 520i (112 000 km)