[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

** K-Jet Idle Problem **

**** Somebody out there who knows K-Jetronic, please help me with my idle
problem on my '82 323i **** PLEEEAAASE!!!!!

***  Note:  I have already been referred to the FAQ, but the idle problem
section does not cover K-Jet. ***

The problem with my car is that i cannot get it to stay at one idle speed.
 All other functions of the system are great, the car runs superbly
everywhere else.   When I set the idle, there is a range in the adjustment
where the speed drops rapidly  from around 1500 rpms to 700 (a "hissing
sound" can also be heard as the adjustment is turned).  Once I get it set at
a speed that is close to normal, it later will be raised to too high a level
or will drop to an unaccptable level.  For instance, I currently have it set
at around 1500 rpms, but if i put a load on the engine at idle (say by
letting out the clutch with my foot on the brake, then letting up), it will
drop down to around 750 and stay there until I rev the engine again.  The
bottom line is that I end up with too high or too low an idle.

I have the Bosch Injection manual by Bentley, and also the Haynes manual for
the car.  The trouble shooting sections of the manuals tell you to check the
following parts when you have idle problems:

*  Accelerator cable or throttle valve binding -- Checked, OK
*  Accelerator stop out of adjustment -- OK
*  Vacuum system leaking -- removing the dipstick while engine is running
stalls the engine, so I believe there is no leak -- OK.
*  Clogged Fuel filter -- OK
*  Air sensor/baffle plate binding or out of adjustment -- checked, OK
*  Auxilary air valve faulty -- I haven't been able to check this 100%, but
the cold start works great and settles down upon warm up, so I don't think
this is the problem.  Also, it is the type that is coolant temperature
operated, so electrical problems are ruled out. (probably OK)
*  Incorrect mixture -- I had the car in the shop for this problem, and they
said that the mixture was way too lean.  However the problem returned an hour
later (unfortunately, my $45 didn't  :(   ).  OK

I cannot find anything wrong, and I don't want to start just randomly
replacing special order/expensive parts.  The car acts as if the sensor plate
stays up until you get below a certain rpm, and then it quickly falls at a
point and reduces the rpms all at once.

One area I haven't checked is the ignition.  Is it possible that the advance
on the distributor is kicking in too early and throwing off the idle?

Apologies for the long post, but i wanted to get all the info down for this
technical and frustrating problem.

Any advice or help will be much appreciated!

Paul King