[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

535 master cylinder

With all the work I've been doing on our 2002 lately, it seems that our
'88 535is (E28 series) has gotten jealous, and is now demanding attention.
It's the clutch (or lack of) that's troubling me.  Yesterday the clutch
pedal felt like it wasn't returning all the way up when I drove in to work,
and at work it stopped returning at all, so that I couldn't get the transmission
in gear.  I thought there might have been air bubbles in the clutch line, so
I unbolted the slave and pushed the plunger down a couple of times, letting it
release slowly each time-this usually works to force bubbles back up the line,
since the #$%*!! bleed valve is almost useless, being located at the very bottom
of the slave, instead of somewhere logical, like the top!

Anyway, this gave a little return to the clutch, but after one push the pedal
stayed down on the floor.  I'm assuming that either the master cylinder or
slave cylinder is shot, my question is, how can I tell which is kaput?  I
replaced the master cylinder about a year and a half ago, and am surprised that
it might be acting up already.  The symptoms on the car are:  no obvious
puddles, although when I pulled the slave I noticed some moisture around the
base of the unit; I've been told this usually indicates the master is leaking-
true?  Or is the moisture coming from the slave cylinder?

Thanks in advance for any help taming our jealous E28, and getting it out of
the parking lot!

Ian
'88 535is (large paperweight)
'76 M2002 (smaller paperweight)