[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Blowing out Intake Gaskets

Hi,

I own a 1989 BMW 325i with 72,000 miles. For the past 18 months I get a check
engine light every four to six months. First the light comes on when I am
waiting for the traffic lights to turn green, later it comes when I am
cruising at a constant speed on the highway. This warning light would stay on
till I hit the accelerator and then this light goes away. Later in the stage I
start hearing sputtering sounds.

Whenever those conditions happened, I have taken my car to 3D Auto works,
Hudson, NH. The first time was in June 93 and the mechanic replaced leaking
intake gaskets. (His notes are: "Intake gasket leaking, R&R intake assembly
and replace gaskets). In October 93 the above mentioned problem re-appeared
and the mechanic again replaced the gaskets. In April this year it happened
again and this time the mechanic got a machine shop to check straightness of
intake manifold. The "R&R" intake manifold was found to be ok. In fairness to
the mechanic, I must mention that he didn't charge me for replacing the blown
gaskets second and third time.

Last week I am having the signs of the above problem again. The check engine
light come on while waiting for the traffic lights to change. Before I take to
the mechanic, I would like your advice about this situation. First what could
be wrong with the engine. Secondly, can someone recommend some good mechanic
with reasonable rate that could fix this problem. I live in Central Mass
(Shrewsbury) and could drive about 100 miles to take it to a good shop.  Other
option is to take it to the dealer (Foreign Motor West in Natick, MA  whose
charges are a little high) or to my usual mechanic.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Abhijit Gupta
Shrewsbury, MA
(508) 842-4782