[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: stinky stinky battery

> From: Rick Paulin <paulin@domain.elided>
> Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 6:54:44 PST
> Subject: battery ??
>
> Greetings,
> I have a 74 2002 with a trunk mounted battery. The battery is an "Interstate"
> that was new in February of this year. This past weekend the car started to
> smell like rotton eggs and upon searching for its origin, I discovered that it
> was coming from the battery, it also seems to be quite hot. Is there something
> I should do before I take it to a shop. I have no way to test the electrical
> system.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice
>
> Rick Paulin

Rick,
	Pheeewww, that's a Sulfur compound you smell. You have a dying cell
in the battery.  The sulfuric acid is breaking down into something like H2S
and that's what you smell.
	'Fizeyou, I'd go and get an adjustment on that battery (it may
be still under the free replacement period) and have the car checked out at
a parts store... many around here will check your battery for free and test
the charging system too.   I've had some batteries die for fun, some because
of dead voltage regulators, and so on.

			thi v.