[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:2002 muffler

>From: Christopher Kent <ckent@domain.elided>
>Date: Sun, 20 Nov 1994 10:59:22 -0500 (EST)
>Subject: 2002 mufler
>
>Two days ago the exhust pipe on my '71 broke off at the connection just
>in front of the rear mufler.  Should I stick with the original or try a
>different set up?   How about just a strait pipe coming out the back?  My
>goal is performance.
>
>chris

So, you're interested in performance, eh?    :)
The general list consensus on aftermarket (bolt-up) ANSA system is:
No real net gain, louder, and less durable than OEM.

A Flowmaster won't fit real well in the existing stock location (square peg
in a round hole), but for a muffler, this is probably the best performance
oriented package.(the price is right, too)

Borla makes a nice cylindrical stainless muffler that would fit in there.
Good flowing muffler, too.  Downside is its pricey.  Over $200 just for the
muffler.

A nice option which might be viable is a 2002 Turbo exhaust system (center
pipe and rear muffler)  Its larger, and it flows more.  Its also "OEM
quality" and bolts right up, though you may have to use a different rear
transmission mount to accomodate the larger pipes.  I believe the Turbo
system used 2 or 2.5" tubes.

On my car, a straight pipe is noisy....to the point of fatigue.  Plus, its
illegal around here.

Have fun.

Erik Frank
1968 2002