[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: 2002 muffler

I have owned 2002's since 1973, and have tried almost every kind of exhaust,
from straight pipes to glass packs to Abarth, Ansa, and Supersprint systems,
as well as stock and Midas mufflers.

I *do not* recommend a straight pipe, as the back pressure seems to be wrong,
as well as the sound factor being a bit tiring.  If your '02 is not a tii,
and does not have dual side draft webers, the stock system performs well.  If
you are planning on keeping the car for a decade or so longer, the investment
in a stainless steel muffler will pay off, otherwise it won't.

If cost is important, as long as you keep the stock Eberspracher front
resonater, the rear muffler is less important, with even the Midas unit
working reasonably well.

A source I have used with great success for 2002 and hard to find BMW parts,
as well as encyclopedic knowledge, is Carl Nelson at CNPR in San Diego at
1-800-466-8184 (no Internet address yet).  He can advise you as to what is
currently available on the aftermarket.

Good Luck, and remember, Round Taillights are Forever.

KKWollen@domain.elided
'88M5
'72Tii Touring