[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tire Recommendation

>Andrew Goldberg wrote:

>I would like to get all-season wheels and tires for winter.
>Although most of my driving is done in the San-Francisco
>Bay Area, I make occasional ski trips to Sierras, so
>all-season tires seem like a good compromise.

>The car in question is a '94 325is with sports package that
>includes 225/55-R-15 tires; the car has limited slip dif.
>I am thinking of getting 205/60-R-15 tires (one
>of the reasons is that BMW does not recommend snow
>chains with the 225/55 tires).

>Can anybody recommend a good tire for me?

I have run a set of Bridgestone Turenza's (205/60-15) on my wife's Audi 5000
Quattro for quite some time. They are a nice mix of dry/wet performance, and
are M/S rated. We have only had them in the snow a couple of times, but they
worked well (but, it is a Quattro...). These tires are somewhat expensive, but
they wear better than other performance all-weathers, like the Yoko AVS-A+4s,
which my wife wore down to nubs in about 15K miles. Available in all reasonable
sizes, as far as I know.

- -cb
'86 524TD, Intercooled.