[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

320is trans ratios and 2002 speedo question

I am in the process of installing a 5-speed trans and 3.90 limited slip
diff from a 320is in my 72 tii.  I would like to know what the gear
ratios are in the 320i 5-speed overdrive trans.

I also just sent the speedometer to North Hollywood Speedometer to be
repaired and recalibrated.  I told the folks there that I had a 2002
speedometer that I wanted recalibrated for a different rear axle ratio.
They said that all I needed to tell them were the old and new ratios
(3.64 -> 3.90) and they could do it.  I have since realized that the
internal speedo drive gearing in the 5-speed 320 gearbox might be
different from the internal speedo drive gearing in the stock 2002
4-speed.  Can anyone tell me if this is a problem (so that I will need a
different recalibration).  Thanks in advance.

Hank Farber
'72 tii
'73 tii (parts only, alas)
'86 325