[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

95 tires

>When I picked up a new 95 530i in Munich, I asked the same question. The
>answer given by the employee of BMWAG was,
>
>"It is no sense to give you Z-rated tires in the US, since you can't
>drive that fast there. These H-rated all season tires are better for you,
>since you can't go over 55/65 mph anyway."
>
>I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the H-rated tires
>cost half as much as the Z-rated tires, and the H-rated tires are made in
>the US?
>
>I drove those tires over 100 mph on the autobahn and the ride and
>handling were not good. On the other hand, they have a tread wear rating
>of 300, which means they will probably last 50,000 miles.
>
>fithian@domain.elided
>Ephraim Fithian
>95 E34 530i, 92 E36 325i

The reason is probably the same reason that MB puts H rated tires on most
of the S class.  A bunch of people who drive these cars because they are
expensive figured that their tires should last as long as his next door
neigbhor's accord, so they got tired of hearing whiny americans who can
afford tires anyway, and put H rated rocks on the newer cars.  That is why
Porsche doesnt worry about it.  Their customers are not nearly as worried
about 3G cup holders and a 50000 mile tire warranty as BMW and MB
customers.  The whole excuse about the speed limit being 55/65 is a nothing
but that, an excuse.

the techno.boy                                               PHONE 512-445-0211

100% Artificial
god@domain.elided
techno.boy@domain.elided