[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

front suspension questions...

I have a situation where I could use some input from the collective
net wisdom.

My '86 325 (about 97,000 miles now), has lately been transmitting
a little rumbly feeling from the right front wheel when rolling
(about 15 mph) to a stop (no brakes applied). Maybe not a rumbling
sound, but a little bumpy feeling from that side. The history on that
wheel is that the balancing weight fell off, and the car ran with
an unbalanced wheel for about 4/5 months till I noticed it (I know
my mistake :-()

Poking around, I discovered that if I grab the top of the tire
and push it inwards (perpendicular to the front to back longitudinal
axis of the car), I can feel the wheel go in about 1/8th of
an inch or less. Dropped the car at the local dealer to have the
play checked out. The dealer discovered some play in the wheel bearing,
and some in the ties rod. The bearing was replaced. I picked up the
car, but the original play (and feeling), were still there.
Sigh. What usually happens when there is a service manager between
the owner and the technician; the symptoms do not get relayed
accuartely.

Went back, and showed the technician directly the play in the wheel,
when pushing the top of the wheel in. Put the car on the rack,
and when it is up in the air, no play could be felt. He checked
the ball joint etc., everything looked fine. Put it back on
the ground, the play is there. Tightened the top of the strut,
but that didn't help. Bouncing the car up and down, the strut seems
fine. The only thing the technician could suggest was the possibilty
of the strut bearing being the culprit, which can't be verified till
that gets taken out.

Anyone wan't to add any wisdom to this analysis? Any comments much
appreciated!

- -h