[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

winter wheels

Jascha asks: SHould I get steel or alloy winter wheels?

I wnet thru this same discussion a month ago; guess you weren't on the
net then.

Here's the way I boiled down the consensus.

1. Don't get alloys with clearcoat. When they pit from salt, et al.,
they look bad.

2. You can use either steel or alloy wheels as long as they are
painted, as it is easy to spray paint them again when the salt does
its thing. The difference is obviously price.

3. If you get steel, you may be able to find wheel covers that give an
alloy-like look. At least a netter in Saskatchewan did.

4. My own choice is to mount (this week) ACTRON, recommended by my
wheel/tire/racing expert -- a painted alloy, 7 spoke. The reason was
pure economics -- they're "only" 2x more than steels, and perhaps only
1.5x more than steels + wheel covers. I called Tire Rack, but they
could only offer me a BBS RN wheel that would be twice the price (once I
shipped/imported into Canada).

YMMV
- --
Barry Wellman           wellman@domain.elided            8-)