[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Driveline guibo

 To respond to Garret McWilliams question about his driveshaft. Replace the
guibo!! The guibo should not have ANY cracks. These cracks will lead to
eventual failure and are the most likely cause ot the vibration( or possible
a shudder ) you feel at slow speeds, that eventually goes away. I had to redo
my driveshaft alignment after puting a 5 speed in my 2002ti to eliminate
quibo flexing and have seen these odd vibrations 1st hand. They seem to be
caused by the rotations effects of the shaft. I looked at mine while it
rotated. I had the car up, half shafts disconnected and working throttle from
under the car. Yes I was VERY careful. I could see the shaft rise up under
centrifugal force to run straighter in the center support bearing. Its the
easiest part to replace and IMHO will help the problem. Let us know how it
goes. Bad Ujoints will vause vibration all the time and clunking noises on
accerelation/deccerelation. The sliding joint is basically foolproof, My long
neck 2002ti has one in the shaft and has gone 380,000+ miles.
    Garrett, did you like the newsletter from us( Puget Sound BMWACA)?

Greg Mierz
GregM2002@domain.elided
69 2002ti ( MPOWER)
80 Rabbit diesel (urban commute assault vechicle)
Roster manager Puget Sound BMWACA