[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Guibos, driveshafts, etc...

Interesting that this thread came up now.  I'm trying to get rid of a vibration
somewhere in the driveline before anyone comes to test drive the my 533i
(it's for sale).  It has been growing worse very slowly over the past year,
and I
can't remember having noticed it before the engine mounts were replaced.
The vibration is a slow shudder at about 15mph felt through the whole car,
regardless of gear selection, and the magnitude varies directly with how
hard you step on the gas.

I'm so very worried about this now because I replaced the transmission mount
two weeks ago, the guibo _looks_  mostly good, and now that the driveshaft is
out (did it this afternoon), I can see that the center bearing has already
been replaced(!) and is in great shape; just a little bit of play and the
rubber is perfect.

So the question is:  what the hell is causing the damned vibration?
Bentley says: a) Incorrect preload of center bearing
                     b) center bearing rubber deteriorated
                     c) guibo worn or damaged
                     d) engine or tranny mounts faulty
                     e) front centering guide worn
                     f) u-joints worn or seized
                     g) sliding coupling seized
                     h) driveshaft misaligned

A few of these can be ruled out immediately because it hasn't come on suddenly.
The u-joints are a little tight and the sliding coupling slides fine.  I'll
check the
centering guide tomorrow when it's light out again.  The guibo does have a
few cracks in it, and since someone else just said it made a huge difference
on a
733i, I'm hoping maybe that's it.

Can anyone give me some more specific guidance?  This is frustrating and I'm
about at the end of my rope with this damned car.

Thanks
Garrett McWilliams
83 533i  179K