[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

How to get more Low-end Power ?

QUESTION: How do I get more Low-end Power ?

WHAT I HAVE:  A 1985 318i with 57k. It's a 5sp.  Everything is
factory-spec except the injectors that were replaced as per BMW
recall when car had around 43k.  My driving is mostly city driving,
with a lot of stop and go.

WHAT I WANT:  More low-end power.  I am not too unhappy with engine
response above 4000, but I want a noticeable (at least 10-15%)
improvement in output in the 2000-3500 rpm range.  I am looking for
more output for my city driving, not for track racing (like if this was the
optimum BMW model for it in any case... :-)  ), or autobahn cruising.

WHAT I AM WILLING TO PROVIDE OR GIVE UP:
i)   Money for the cost of modifications:  Even for a car probably
     worth now less than $4,500, I would be willing to invest up to $1k
     or more, since an alternative course of action may be to get a
     different (newer) car, which would cost much more anyway.
ii)  Fuel economy: Could drop by half and it would not matter: I drive
     less than 4k per year (I bought the car with 35k).
iii) Some level of engine longevity.  With my current driving, car
     could become an antique before engine would have worn out :-).

WHAT I WOULD NOT WANT:
i)   A noisy car (I am saying this because a "free-flow" mufler could
     otherwise be an easy start). I am specially concerned about noise
     since I already keep the car above 3,000 rpm most of the time in
     order to have decent throttle response.
ii)  A car that becomes less reliable, specially the
     electric/electronic type of problems that BMWs seem to
     have an affinity for.
iii) Modifications that would do wonder at the top end (above 4,500
     rpm), but little below 3,500 rpm.  I know very little about
     filters, but am I wrong to think that high flow air filters (e.g.
     K&N) would be along those lines ?

WHAT I WOULD VERY MUCH APPRECIATE:  All of you with knowledge (as I
have seen there is a lot among the members of this list) about BMWs and
mods for them, telling me what my options are.

Thanks,

andres
ajaime@domain.elided

P.S.:  Had this been a "chippable" engine like the eta 2.7, I believe I
would have already found one answer.  Unfortunately, I think the 1985
1.8 engine is brainless, and thus cannot be "brainwashed" to produce
more power  :-(