[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

2002 insurance settlement

The '71 2002 that I bent last weekend has the following problems: The
nose, hood, fenders and front bumper are bent. Didn't break the headlights
or the parking lamps! It will need grilles, trim etc. And the radiator
recored. (The plastic fan just BARELY bit into the core...)
This car has had sills, rockers, quarters, fenders,  rear
shock towers... structurally very sound. And used to be pretty
damned fine in the cosmetics end as well. No short springs, fat wheels,
or any of that stuff. Just almost pure stock and well maintained.
The bumper brackets didn't even sheer the mounting bolts off on the
subframe - in fact the brackets bent rather gracefully ahead of the sheet
metal.

Using some new (but mostly recycled) parts will be about $1200 for parts.
The insurance company wants to declare the car totalled for $2350 and
let me buy it back for $100.

What's the assembled wisdom out there? Is this close to the best I can
hope for? Or is it worth trying to make a case for more. The company
is Metropolitan and so far they have seemed decent. But I have never
had an accident before in 30 plus years of driving.

robert moore

'71 2002 (sorta) / '77 320i