[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Conversion to Elec. Ign (was: something else)

Since I've been looking to convert my 320i over to an electronic style
ignition for some time this tread has caught my attention.  I've heard of
the Pertronix system before but have never seen it.  I presume that it
just replaces the points with an inductive triggered switch inside the
distributor.  What I was wondering is that other than getting rid of the
points (which is a very good thing), being easy to install and being
inexpensive does the Pertronix's system give a hotter spark or any other
advantages of a high-performance ignition like the Crane Cam system (i.e.
previous Allison) that cost ~$120 (which I've been looking at). If not can
I, with the Pertronix system, change the coil (like to a .4ohm Bosch Elec.
Ign coil) and ballast resistor to give me more current through the coil to
give a hotter spark (since I would no longer have to worry about burning
up the points)?  Actually my stock ign. system works well (fine upto 6800
rpm) however I really want get rid of the points and get a hotter spark to
make sure that at high rpm that I won't have any problems.

p.s. I hate the Digest mode but I guess it is better than nothing.

Walt Barie (wgbst4+@domain.elided, barie+@domain.elided)
Graduate Student
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh

'79 320i DSP Solo II car (without Elec. Ign:(
'80 528i with Elec Ign :)

    "You gotta first spin the dice in order to win the game" - esp '95

Of course what I say in no way reflects the views of the University....