[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DIY Valve Adjustment (& WARNING)

While in the midst of replacing many small parts under the
hood of my 84 733i the other day, I had the valve cover off,
and was all set to adjust the valves. Only then did it occur
to me that I had not thought in advance about how I would
turn the engine to get each set of valves in the proper
position for adjustment.

How do people most commonly accomplish this? Is a remote
starter switch a good idea, or is it better to buy the
large hex socket needed to fit the nut on the pulley?
All I know is that the pulley nut was quite a bit bigger
than the 19mm socket which is the largest in my socket set.

*** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING ***
*** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING ***
Next time you have your valve cover off, check that the
1/2 inch pipe which runs forward and aft is securely bolted
in place. Mine is held by two bolts, one of which had come
loose and was halfway unscrewed. I hate to think what might
have happened had it worked completely free and gotten caught
up in moving parts. I believe that the pipe in question is
used to deliver oil to the moving parts under the valve cover.
*** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING ***
*** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING ***

- -Richard