[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

2000tilux

>I just talked to a guy who has what he says is a 2000TiLUX with a 2002Tii

the tilux was a variation on the four door sedans that preceded and ran
concurrently with the '02 series.  The are quite upright, seated five
people easily and significantly rarer than the '02s.  They started with the
1500, continued with the 1600 (not 1600-2), 1800 and then 2000.  The 2
litre variant had a slightly modified body with much wider tail lights.

On many of these models there were performance/luxury variants.  The
1600ti, 1800ti and 2000ti came with dual side draught Solex carbs in a set
up that later found its way into the 2002ti and 1600ti (2 door version).

The most interesting, rare and valuable variant of all was the 1800tisa
which had dual 45DCOE (I think, maybe 40DCOE) Webers and all sorts of
racing set ups (seats, 5 speed CR transmission, etc...).  Only 200+ were
made for racing certification, and this was really the predecessor to the
M3 (but much rarer--even in its prime).

The variant you are talking about were the 2000tilux which is essentially a
2000ti with some luxury trim and softer suspension (wood dash and centers
on the instrument needles etc...).  The engine could be from a 2002tii or a
2000tii which was actually produced prior to the 2-door injected model and
as it sounds had the mechanically fuel injected engine in the four door
body.

>a picture of it, whether it came with a Tii engine stock, how easy to get
>parts for,

You can see a picture in most BMW books--it looks similar to any of the
four door sedans.  I know that the Brooklands 1600 Collection has a road
test that includes a 1600 and a 2000tilux.  Parts are more difficult than
2002s if they do not coincide (eg most engine stuff is identical but body
is difficult).  However, if your willing to put the time in these cars are
not all that rare, so you should be able to get what you need.

>worthwhile to restore

With the exception of the 1800tisa these will never be collectors cars, so
don't plan on making your fortune with it.  However, there are much better
ways to do that than cars, and if weird, old BMWs appeal to you I'd say go
ahead.  It isn't as sporty as a 2002, and it even makes those cars look
sleek when sitting next to it, but there are those who like that (read:
me).

Sorry to be so long winded.  If you decide to pass on this I would be very
interested in talking to the person who owns it, so let me know what
decision you come to.

- --Ware
'72 2002tii
'60s 4 door sedan (some day)