[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

32/36 Weber (Was: 2002 Stuff)

After just rebuilding my 32/36 (was supposed to have been a rebuilt
carb when purchased --  so the purchase $ for the kit is unrealistic
because the shop that sold the carb to previous owner and good friend
sold me the rebuild kit for next to nothing), I have a few comments:
1) When you say that you are having problems with the second barrel,
is it due to the choke operated by the water housing? you may want to
check the electrical choke.  The notorius water choke beast can be
replaced by an electric choke (Mesa Performance in Costa Mesa, CA
carries them - disclosure: not affiliated nor profit from mention of
them, etc.) and works great.  Mine would stick open or closed
depending upon mood, thus screwing up the response and giving similar
signals as you mentioned.  I figured it was easier to rebuild then to
try and isolate a single problem (Besides, I couldn't resist opening
it up - Weber makes nice, simple carbs that are easy to work on!).
2) The rebuild kit comes with a good set of instructions.  I used the
Haynes guide for clarification only.
3) Disassembly/Assembly is simple enough that even I could do it (I am
used to SU's so I've got some previous experience -- never mind, you
can do it -- it's easy)
4) Once together, this carb works well and is simple to adjust.
Richard is correct, however, in that you need to pay particular
attention to the throttle shaft bushing.  Mine was worn enough to
merit replacement at the shop owner's expense.
Brian.Foster@domain.elided
BTW, I took the 2002 for its (and my) maiden SCCA ITB racing school
this weekend at Holtville, California and had an absolute blast.  With
2 Tii's from our entourage eating everything alive in ITA (and almost
everything else in sight 8^) ), my ITB car did its best to represent
the marque.  Although I could out handle or brake most cars, I just
had enough horses to keep ITA cars honest and reel-in a few other ITB
cars.  The Neons in SSC were quick, but I still beat 'em when I got
out in front :) -- the trick was getting in front. Not much to brag
about, but others said it was fun watching a 20 year old car run
nose-to-tail with flourescent, modern cars.  The best time was running
around the ITC Datsun 510's (my old alma mater stomping ground).
Alas, the car may have to be sacrificed for a 4-door, business-like
sedan, so if you are interested in a trade, put your bids in now.