[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Electronic ignition & brake boosters

     Greetings all,

     Well, we finally got our '69 1600ti out of the body shop after last
     July's collision repair and repaint, so its time again to continue on
     our upgrade path.

     The first subject is on electronic ignitions, ie replacement
     breakerless ignition systems for this era car.  I've had the
     Allison(sp?) system recommended to me, but want to get the benefits of
     the opinions and experience from the list members before embarking on
     any path.  All inputs will be valued, but I am especially interested
     in any other 1600/2002 owners with direct experiences.

     The second topic is about brakes and vacuum servo boosters.  Any other
     owners out there experience a direct failure of the booster or
     accumulator?  I've been advised to check the one-way valve on the
     intake manifold of the dual Solex PHH carbs, and to replace the vacuum
     hose also, prior to replacing the booster.  BTW, since the ti has dual
     side drafts with that large cylindrical air cleaner plenum, the
     booster is directly mounted to the master cylinder, and is of a
     different part number than conventional non-ti 2002s, and of course is
     the appropriately larger dollar amount.  I hope its the one-way vacuum
     valve.  Oh yeah! Symptoms?  Very *hard* brake pedal: the car stops
     safely, but no way can you lock'em up.  Did the recommended booster
     functionality test (engine off, pump brakes 20 times, turn on
     ignition, start motor:  brake pedal should move at least 1" (source
     A); brake pedal should drop to floor (source B)).  The results:  brake
     pedal moves ~1/2" v e r y slowly.  The master cylinder is about 1 year
     old as is the brake fluid.

     Regarding the recent thread on high-wattage H4 lamps et al, I recently
     installed the 100/90W units in the 1600ti, along with a separate relay
     and in-line fuse for low and high beams.  Now the headlight switch is
     handling *much* less current and no blown fuses! (now where do I get a
     larger amperage alternator?):) Just in time for this fine northwest
     weather we're having!

     Thanks!

     Mike
     mikeh@domain.elided
     '69 1600ti bristol, navy interior, recovered Recaros, *lotsa* fun!