[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

BMW NA driving comparison

A thread a few weeks ago gave info about a driving comparison sponsored
by BMW NA.  I called the number mentioned and made reservations.
Yesterday was my time to drive; it was really a lot of fun!

The cars available to drive were:  BMW 325i, Lexus 300es, Mercedes 280c
and Infinity J30.  It appears that BMW chose these cars because they
are encraoching on their market share and not because they were the
best performing cars in the 32k to 40k price range.  I would rather
have driven a Saab 9000 or Volvo 850.  Anyway, it was cheap intertainment
and fun.  They 325i performed the best (of course) but the 280 was a
very close second.  The most dramatic revelation was the traction
control found on the 325i and the 280.  There was a heavy plastic
mat about 30 feet long with liquid soad sprayed on it; slick as ice.
The BMW and the Benz walked right off the mat, where the Lexus and the
Infinity had more trouble.  I got the impression that this was the
main element BMW was trying to get across.  I think they were trying
to shoot holes in the idea that FWD always gets better traction than
RWD.  The other conclusion I came to was that I would not ever be
happy with a BMW without the sport package or aftermarket modifications.
Even though the BMW performed the best, the handling was fairly vague.  I
would not trade the handling characteristics of the 325i for my 87 535is.
The presentation was very low key, and sales pressure was non-existent. All
they asked was for everyone to fill out a 2 page evaluation for for
maketing purposes.

On another note; I found out that a 325is for '95 no longer means a car
with a sports package.  This seams like a very strange departure from
the model designations of the past.  Anyone have any insight into this?
Did this start this year?

Thanks for your indulgence,  Steve G.    sgerhardt@domain.elided
				         Lynnwood WA.