[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Hella Vision Euro headlamp conversion

I just installed Hella Vision Euro headlamps on my
'85 325e.  I decided to begin conservatively and
stick with the supplied 55/60W low/high beam H4 bulbs
and the 55W H1 high beam bulbs.

Activation of the high beams blew both 7.5 Amp high-beam
fuses (the #1 and #2 fuses)...which prompted me to consult
the Power=Voltage X Current relationship.  With high beams
on, 55W + 60W = 115W = (12.5V) X (current), which tells
me I need about a 10 Amp fuse for each high beam bank.
Installation of two 10 Amp fuses seems to allow worry-free
high beam illumination.

My main question is:  if I get wild now and install the
optional 55W/100W H4's and 100W H1's, will the stock
headlamp relays handle the current?  I'd put 20 Amp
fuses into the #1 and #2 slots.  Anyone tried this
with success?

Thanks...

Scott Bachmeier
NASA Langley Research Center
Hampton, VA
'85 325e  166K
(convinced Russ Wiles he should buy that 2002 back in 1982...)