[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: BMW vs Corevette handling

>My friend who owns a a mid 80's stock corvette claims that corvettes are
>better handling cars than 3 series BMW's. I don't think so! Can anyone
>out there shed some light on this discussion. I am looking for some facts
>to either prove or disprove my point. I am interested in comparisons of both
>old and new models of both cars.

I once ran a Canadian Corvette Club event that used mirror image courses and
gave you four stripes, two for each side. As long as you had a stripe, you
could run, so you got at least 4 runs. I ended up coming in second to a
Corvette (naturally) from the 60's, at least partly because the rain let up and
his power became a factor. He was also a very good driver, gunning it into the
stop box better than me every time. Curiously, the next closest competition was
a Volvo 244 with the high HP Canadian engine (B23E I think) and lots more
suspension mods than I. First event on BFG race rubber, too. Lots of wimpy
drivers, though, so I got lots and lots of runs.

In many cases, BMWs will outhandle Corvettes in tight courses, just due to size
and nimblness. Corvettes win in straight lines, in general, and in wide open,
high speed courses, where shear speed and high cornering levels win out.

Then agian, look at what Russ Wiles did in the One Lap!

Frank, the late in responding