Here is what I found out:
From: bthongsa@domain.elided
If it's just a thin layer of surface rust, then I've had good success
using chemicals like MetalPrep to remove the rust and condition the
metal for priming.  It's basically a bluish or greenish acid, sold in
most paint and body supply stores.  I know that Ditzler sells the
stuff, I forget the number for it, though.
PPG/Ditzler is a widely known supplier of auto paints products.
I think the number is DX540 or something like that.  It's a DX and
three digit number.  PPG/Ditzler supplies paint for GM, I believe.  I
normally get general body supplies through them (cleaners, fillers,
etc).  I prefer to use German paints, such as Spies-Hecker or Sikkens,
etc.
You basically brush or wipe it on, and let it sit for a while.  If
it's truly light rust, it'll just dissolve.  If it's heavier, then you
may need to scrub the panel with a scouring pad or something.
If it's heavier rust, or a structure, I've sent pieces out to be
dipped. I used a place called RediStrip to strip the nose panel on the
3.0CS of paint and rust (after seeing that a new one was $1200, I
elected to repair the old one..... :) ).  They did a decent job of
getting all the paint and rust off.
You may need to sandblast any heavy spots of rust to get rid of all
the rust, though.  But it's not a good idea to sandblast entire
panels.
(Then I asked Ben,)
>  What about components that have mixed metal types. For example, the
>  sunroof front mechanism looks like an aluminum air deflector mated
>  to a rusty metal fixture for mounting to the top.  I am not sure
>  they will come apart and houses the latching mechanism.  Secondly,
>  all of the sunroof bows are rusty but thin.  These kind of parts
>  suitable for professional dipping?  The engine housings and etc.
>  are easy to work with.
They can dip the part in the aluminum stripping solution, which is
weaker than the steel solution, but gets the job done without
disintegrating the non-steel bits.  The parts you describe sound
suitable for dipping, but find the stripper in your area, and ask them
to be sure.
Keep in mind that _all_ of the paint and rust, etc. will be removed,
meaning that you'll need to get primer and paint into all the little
nooks and crannies to keep it from rusting out again.

From: Frederik Kjeldsen <kjeldsen@domain.elided>
I've had very good luck with Eastwood's OxySolv.  It's a resuable
liquid you can brush on or soak in.  Not to caustic, either.

From: Steve Padilla <Steve@domain.elided>
Naval Jelly works on ships.  You should be able to find it in a good
hardware store.  It dissolves iron rust quite well.  I don't think it
attacks clean metal at all, but use it with caution.

From: mlr@domain.elided (Mike LaRosa)
Yes, it called Naval Jelly, and most auto parts stores should have it.

From: vidayc@domain.elided
Dip them into Coca-Cola. It works rather welll. Yves
(BTW, I tried this for some nuts, bolts, and other misc. hardware and
it really worked well -- I was pretty surprised)

From: Jim Conforti <jec@domain.elided>
Oxalic Acid solution (aq.) will remove (dissolve) rust
NOTE: Oxalic acid is POISONOUS (by ingestion) .. wear gloves, be safe!

From: Colin Brace <BRACEC@domain.elided>
Per your rust removal question. If these are pot-metal (also
called "white metal") parts, I'd suggest a place in Hemmings that
specializes in this sort of thing. Not all plating/polishing companies
will touch pot metal. For steel parts, I've used a product from
Eastwood called Oxy-Solv, comes in gallon & 5 gallon lots, you can
soak the parts, or brush it on large areas. I've used it on several
projects, including my 1973 3.0s. If you want to blast, I understand
that plastic bead is the most gentle blasting media. A friend had good
luck with his XKE bonnet getting it dipped at New England Metal Strip,
who also advertise in Hemmings. If it is real heavy, outside of
cutting the rust out & replacing with new metal, you might wish to use
a 3m stripping wheel, commonly available in hardware stores.
Colin Brace