[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E28 - suspension diagnosis

Hi all.

Apparently, all the duplicate messages have stopped.  Thank goodness! 8^)
After all the advice I've given others, I'm a bit stumped myself now .  I'll
try to keep this brief:

Is there a tell-tale way to determine if strut bearings are going bad?
Is there any test, while the car isn't moving, to determine this?  I
am getting a shake at 65-85 (it's fine under 65, and smooth from 85-115+)
in the steering wheel, that seems more likely with rough roads than
smooth ones.  Oddly, braking smooths it out (important clue??!!).

Tie rod assemblies are tight, lower control arms are new, *rotors* and
pads are new (but will surely warp soon if I leave it this way), wheels
are rebalanced (and rotated, just in case), car travels straight, alignment
seems OK.  I replaced the strut bearings at 140k, but since I left the
lower controls in there too long (228k), I could have accelerated the
strut bearings' demise.  Thrust rod bushings were replaced at around
140k as well, so I expect these could be suspect (although visually,
they're OK).

Thanks,
 .steve.
1983 528e