[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: BMW history

|>1992 new 3 series with 4 or 6.

depends on where you're living.  In Germany it was 1990, in Switzerland
1991.  I got my first on in '91.  I thought, however, that the US also got
them that year (although with your model-year numbering system they might
have been called '92 cars).

|>All bmw have the displacement in  the name.  Like 850  means 5 liter
|>and 320 means 2.0 liter. 528 means 2.8 and 325 means 2.5 liter.

Generally true. However, in South Africa (for example) the E36 316i is
actually sold with the 1.8l 8 valve engine. There have been other
inconsistencies over time, and there may be new ones shortly if they
rebore the engines of the 325i and 320i to make them 2.8l and 2.3l
respectively.

|>They all have 4 wheel independant suspension with 4  wheel disk brakes.

E36 316i and 318i (but not 318is - the 16 valve coupe) have rear-drums.
I'm not sure, but the new E36 318i compact may also have rear drums.

- -Afzal