[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

More snow tires

I sent this note a few days ago, but I never saw it appear on the net.
If you have already seen it, forgive me.

==============

I'm looking for snows for my 'iX and the selection for that car is
somewhat limited, so I've got some questions.  (non-iX folks, please
stay tuned, you may be able to help with some of them)

If I stick with the stock 15x7 wheels, Tire Rack recomends the
Pirelli 190P or 210P.  I'd be looking at 205/55-15 (stock size) which
is pretty wide for a snow tire.
Does anyone have experience with either of those tires?

I can also get Nokia Hakapolita(sp?) in 185/65-15 which is .5" larger than
stock, and I'm told will probably rub.  Or I can get the slightly less
agressive NRWs in 195/60-15, which is still .25" oversize and may rub,
but noone seems to know for sure.
Does anyone have experience with those sizes on an 'iX?
Does anyone have experience with the NRWs vs the Haka...'s?  How much
will I be giving up in terms of snow-ability?

If I go down to 14" steel wheels, I can get Gislaved Euro-Frost's (NOT
the same as the excellent Nord-Frost's, more an all season tire I'm
told) or the Blizzak (sp?) in a relatively tall and skinny 185/70-14.
Any experience with those tires?
Any experience with that size on an 'iX?

Any other sugestions?

thanks,
rick
'87 325es w/ studded Gislaved Nord-Frosts
'87 S10 Blazer w/ serious AT tires
'79 Rx7 w/ terrible Goodrich snows (rarely driven in winter)
'90 325iX w/ ???