[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2002 lowering

Hi folks
  About the spacers on the struts. I had just replaced the struts and shocks
(Bilstein streets) on my '72 tii and noticed that the new parts did elevate the
car just a bit. As a second thought and an experiment, I took out the spacers.
What a difference, the front did sink down, and at least the thickness of the
spacers, but the rear of the car also lifted, probably 0.5 - 1.0 inch. I guess
that the spacers shifted the distribution of weight more onto the rear tires.
Mechanically this makes sense. I was surprised with just how much this,
seemingly small, change affected the way the car 'sat'. Now, if this is more
than my imagination, and since the spacers were an "add-on" for DOT standards,
it follows that the spacers could do nothing but take away from the engineered
balance of the little bimmer. So, to make a short story long, my bet would be
that removing the spacers does have a positive effect on handling.

Michael

'72 tii