[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

snow tire questions

Snow-country drivers,

I'm looking for snows for my 'iX.  Since I would like to stay with the
stock 15x7 wheels, the selection is somewhat limited - which brings up
a couple of questions.  (Non-iXers, don't go away.  You may be able to
help with some of them)

This is what I have so far:

For 15x7's I can get Pirelli 190P or 210P in 205/55-15 (stock size,
pretty wide for a snow tire).
Anyone have experience with the Pirelli's?

I can also get Nokia Hakapolita(sp?) in 185/65-15 which is .5" larger than
stock, and I'm told will probably rub.  Or I can get the slightly less
agressive NRWs in 195/60-15, which is still .25" oversize and may rub,
but noone seems to know for sure.
Does anyone have experience with those sizes on an 'iX?
Does anyone have experience with the NRWs vs the Haka...'s?  How much
will I be giving up in terms of snow-ability?

Finally I can get the Gislaved Euro-Frost (NOT the same as the
excellent Nord-Frost) in 195/60-15.  This also sounds like a less
agressive tire - not quite an all-season, but not a real snow tire
either.
Anybody have experience with them?

Any other sugestions?

thanks,
rick
'87 325es w/ Gislaved Nord-Frost's
'87 S10 Blazer w/ serious AT tires
'79 Rx7 w/ junk Goodrich snows (doesn't drive much in the winter)
'90 325iX w/ ?