[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Anti-freeze

Hi.

On 17 Oct 1994, Kenneth John Hillers wrote:

> I have used Prestone in three BMW's with no problems.
>
> - 2002tii 50K miles
> - 318i    55K miles
> - 325i    65K miles (with distilled water)
>
> Why would i need to use BMW anti-freeze.

Well, if you ever plan to actually *drive* these cars (sorry, Ken, little
joke about the low mileage 8^)), you want to go with the BMW anti-freeze.
The Prestone anti-freeze has too much of the rust-inhibitor which has been
proven to clog up BMW radiators, most notably of post-'82 vintage.  I
understand that Prestone (and others) cause deposits that are created all
over the coolant wells in the engine.  When you change/flush the coolant,
these dislodge and end up in the bottom of the radiators, and then the
radiator becomes scrap.  As well, the inside of my engine has *no* rust
with the BMW anti-freeze, so I don't need Prestone's "added" protection.

For my money, rather than research anti-freeze to the nth detail, I'll
stick with the BMW anti-freeze.  Perhaps there are indeed others, and I
may save a whole $2/gallon, but my time isn't that cheap.  YMMV.

And, besides, if you change the anti-freeze once every two years, why the
hell are people quibbling over saving $12?????? ($6 price difference x 2
gallons) I understand that about as much as I understand why people are
going nutso trying to make a mickey-mouse repair to a $5 brake sensor!

Confused today, as I ponder a new driveshaft ($$), tranny ($$$$), and
        steering box($$).... ahhhh, the demise of the Internet...
 .steve.
1983 528e
228k
Steven J. Bernstein                       Home: bernstein@domain.elided