Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:18:13 -0500
From: "J. Cash" <j.cash@domain.elided>
Subject: [bmw] Day Time Running Lights

Stephen Mostad writes

I was wondering if someone on the digest could recommend a course of action
for me.
I'm importing my 525iT into Canada and the government requires Daytime
Running Lights. I suspect the easiest way to make this mod is replace the
headlight relay. Is this a correct assumption? Would any of you know which
relay needs to be replaced and how to find it amongst all the other red and
yellow relays? I have sourced out a wrecked, early 90s 5-er and would love
to yank the relay out of that, install in mine and be done with it. (While
I'm at it, I'll probably grab the LKM, too.)
I have to tackle the same problem on my '97 3-er.
Any advice and precautionary notes for both cars are appreciated.
Best,
Stephen
- -----------------------

Steven - assuming the 525iT is a 97 or later then it will be similar to your
97 3-er. They no longer have headlight "relays" but rather all external
lighting is controlled by the Light Check Control Module (LCM).
It is all solid state and uses software to determine how the lights work.

To turn on the DRLs you have to have the dealer re-set the software option
for that feature.

The only IFFY part of this is that your "import" will be programmed with a
Country Code that is not the one for Canada (07) and that can also determine
what other software features are available for your car - it serves the
different requirements in different countries.

A dealer will need to set the coding for the entire car, and can then turn
on the DRL's.

Note - if the car comes with rear fogs then their operation "might" change
depending on coding.

Cheers
Jim Cash