Re: [bmw] dash beginning to crack

Mark,

A couple of things. If you live in a climate with "extreme" tempatures your dash is going to crack. There is nothing you can do about it other than move. Things you can do to slow the cracking is use a plastic protector such as Armorall with a UV protectant and garrage the car on those really hot and really cold days. Its the hot/cold extremes that really crack the dash.

Permatex sells a kit that will allow you to mix some plastic resin to patch the crack that will prevent it from spreading and to match the texture of the dash. I had some damage on my Volvo's glovebox door from a mechanic's screwdriver (airbag recall) and they were able to repair it almost completely invisiblely.
If you had a Mercedes they sell "dash covers" which are a second skin for the top of the dash board where a crack might develop. Correctly installed and they look just like a factory dash. Perhaps the company that makes them might eventually start making some for the BMW product line.

Robert Chase

mark wrote:

My 1991 318is has a hairline crack (1/4in x 1/16in) in the well above the
glove box. I've always used a foil deflector in the summer to protect the
interior, so this is really depressing for me. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to slow the process? Some compound that can fill it and
hopefully hold it together?

Thanks

mbolmida@domain.elided

1991 318is