[bmw] 85 528e having a hesitation problem.

I have an 85 528e and am having a hesitation problem. The car will all
of a sudden lose acceleration to where there is no throttle response
until I floor it. Sometime while holding steady the engine will lope
from 1800 to 1000 RPM back and forth until I either let up on the pedal
or floor it. I have changed the cap, rotor, in tank pump, all fuel and
coolant sensors, main fuel pump, ECU, ICM and all fuel line that looked
shot. Also a weird issue when testing the fuel pump relay the Haynes
manual says to jump pins #30 and #87 turn the ignition to the on
position and I should hear a whirring coming from the pumps for about
10 seconds. The weird thing is when I jump the pins the pumps run even
with the key off and run for as long as I leave the jumpers connected.
Does any one know what controls the voltage to the pumps from the
relay?
Lee 85 528e 157k