[bmw] Re: E39 6cyl. water pump failure

My wife reported no power steering and batt. light on. Lifted hood and found
a trashed water pump and shredded belt. Little cylinders of metal all over
(bearings). Very difficult to get shroud off because the pump was hanging out.
My question is to anyone who has experienced this and done the work himself.
Is there a danger of metal in the coolant? I'm going to drain what is left,
suction the water pump hole, which has shavings in it and flush with a hose.
Any tips will be appreciated.
Fred Callender RMC