[bmw] E36 318i--How are they?

Matt asks
>How is the E36 318i? Are they underpowered, or pretty responsive? I've
>never driven one, E30 or 36, and
>it has always seemed to me like a 1.8 liter engine just wouldn't be
>enough. What's the difference between the
>318i and the ti? Any other comments you'd like to make about the cars?

Matt, I will first off say that I have an E30 325i, have driven lots of E30
and E36 318i and 325i,  and don't think I would ever buy a 318 (E30 or E36)
because they don't have enough oooomph for me. BUT, I have to admit they can
be very fun cars-it all depends on what you want!

E30 318 (the later version, '90/91) is probably the nicest driving out of
the bunch.. light, well balanced, easy to toss around and very rewarding to
drive well through the twisty bits

the E36 gained a bit of weight (and size, and features), and kept
essentially the same motor.. soo it feels a little slower - but can still be
a lot of fun

automatics take all the joy out of the 318i, stick with a 5 spd! (ok, the
automatics are dogs and feel slow as molasses!)

the 318ti feels a little lighter than the regular 318i, and it seems nobody
ever wants to sell 'em (they like them so much).. so it might be hard to
find one

the cars will certainly not win any acceleration tests, but all are very
well balanced, comfy, fun, and rewarding to drive.. you have to shift alot
(but the engine loves to rev, and the drivetrain works great) and you'll
save a bit of gas money compared to the 6 cylinder

me, I love doing donuts and ripping away to the squeal of tires (*without*
having to dump the clutch) so I'm hooked on the baby six cylinders!!

chris pawlowicz
'74 2002 (sold), '81 320i (sold), '89 325i, '99 Z3 2.8