[bmw] E36 318i--How are they?

Now that I'm in the market for a car again, I'm finally asking a question that I've always been curious about:
How is the E36 318i? Are they underpowered, or pretty responsive? I've never driven one, E30 or 36, and
it has always seemed to me like a 1.8 liter engine just wouldn't be enough. What's the difference between the
318i and the ti? Any other comments you'd like to make about the cars?

Thanks,
Matt