From a financial perspective I am worried about the resale value of her if I
settle and then get it fixed.

thanks,

Monique

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 05:29:44 -0500
From: Robert Chase <beostar@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: [bmw] E34 Post-Accident advice

Matt,

Keep in mind that the insurance company is legally obligated to "make
you whole" in the event of a loss on behaf of their client.  The 2k
worth of work that you put in your car could be to your advantage if you
can show the insurance company that your BMW is an enthusiast car and
not just transportation.  If you have done a lot of "upgrades" and
preventative maint you can claim them in the value of the car.  The
simple fact of the matter is the average run of the mill car on the used
car market will not have these items taken care of which you are out of
pocket for.  The insurance company may use delay tactics to make you
settle.  If you can borrow a car for a few weeks I would suggest it.
Also being aggressive and serving their insured with papers (especially
at work) usually results in a screaming phone call to the insurance
company.  It costs as little as $55 in some areas to start a lawsuit.
It may send the message to the insurance company that you dont want to
"fuck around" (pardon my french).  Additionally an insured that gets
served with a lawsuit because of his insurance companies inability to
settle a simple property damage claim is likely to switch carriers.
Don't threaten to sue.  Just go down and serve the paperwork.  You would
be suprised how flexible people become when the sherriff comes a knockin.

Robert Chase