[bmw] 1987 325 "Ding"

Hope someone out there can help me with a little problem on my 1987 325e.
Occasionally while driving I get a "ding" sound like some kind of warning.
There are no warning lights associated with the sound (although the whole
row of oil change LED's do not light up - so there might be more lights
out).  The water temperature is fine, oil level is fine (changed about 1,000
miles ago), lights are all working (except for 3rd brake light) and washer
and radiator fluid are full.

I'm not extremely concerned, but I am a little more lately because it seems
to be more frequent.  It happens when the car is warmed up or cold, during
acceleration or braking - no rhyme or reason.

As soon as the weather warms up around here, I plan to take the whole dash
apart and replace any burned out bulbs, but if this is something I should be
worrying about sooner, I'd like to know.

Anyone out there with a similar year/model that has heard this sound and
could tell me what it is?

Thanks,
Tom Bejma
Harrison Twp., MI