[bmw] defunct temp. gauge for '89 535i

Thanks for the submissions.  The problem was that the
temp. gauge needle would not move past the cold mark
except on rare occassions during prolonged idleing and
creeping.  My father and I found it to be the temp.
gauge sensor.  There are two sensors, it is the one on
the driver's side and depending on your engine type
the color could vary, the color of mine was black.
  I replaced it today with a new sensor and it works
fine now.  I also found out that the engine has to be
COMPLETELY cold because otherwise when you remove the
sensor, coolant sprays under high pressure everywhere,
oops, my father will probably get a kick out of that.

p.s.-I found that my gauge reads pretty much right in
the center when at normal operating temperature.  I
sometimes goes a little over but never towards the
cold end.  Is this typical of this model?  Thanks