Re: [bmw] Re: buying a '97 M3--not the silver coupe

Hmmm,

Dunno about that one..... I know some nasty slobs that take really good mechanical care of their car....... My brother is a prime example...... His 300D is NASTY inside with ashes and junk all around the inside but its tip top mechanically........
Remember like the people that own them all cars are different :).

Then again why pay top dollar from a low end dealership? Its a waste of money. If they did not have the time to vacuum out the car or fix the check engine light why do they deserve a high amount of money for a car they paid very little for? Low end dealers typically stay low end for a reason :)

Robert Chase.

peter cain wrote:

Mike & all,

RE: The '97 M3 silver coupe you looked at:
My experience says that $20K, or even the ~$19K you want to offer is far too high for what
sounds like a very marginal car. I think there is too much wrong with the car cosmetically and
probably also functionally for this to be considered a top condition car. For it to be worth $20K
it would have to have significantly lower milege and be prefect, as in *perfect*--nothing wrong
cosmetically or functionally. Here's why.

Be sceptical of anyone who puts a dog in the back of this kind of car and lets the hair
accumulate. Does he also let the mechanical defects in the car accumulate? Sounds like he does.
There are LOTS of E36 M3s for sale, and the prices keep dropping. Example: I bought a really nice
'97 4-door this past summer in Boston for $15.5K. Everything checked out perfectly on the car, no
defects anywhere, plus it had new tires and cross-drilled rotors with new pads. The only thing
less than perfect is the drivers seat outer bolster, which has slight wear from the driver
getting in. The 4-door is WONDERFUL. I can pick up my son and his friends (who all think it's
very cool to get picked up in an M3!) It's white, and it doesn't attract much attention--except
from boy racers who know what it is. This is the best and most athletic car I've ever
owned--including some Ferraris and many other sports cars.

Keep looking. Cheap Honda money buys you a great M3 these days. You should be able to duplicate
my buy for ~$15K or maybe a bit less ---if you are patient.

Good luck,
Peter Cain
London, Canada