[bmw] Test drove a 1997 BMW M3...

Test drove a 1997 M3 coupe, 61,000 miles. Clean exterior, rear seat showed
sign of having a dog sit in the seat, i.e. some minor scratches.  Lots of
hair strewn throughout the car.

Car is silver w/black interior, Vader seats. HK Stereo, BMW CD changer but
wasn't in the stock location.  Conical air filter, would really prefer the
stock airbox.

Rate the exterior a 9 and the interior a 7.

New or newer tires, Pilot sports.

No front under-tray.

Clutch engaged right at the floor - I recall the other M3's I drove
activating a bit farther up...

Shifter knob comes right off the shifter. Shifting seemed vague, compared
to my Mustang.  Then again the Mustang shifter sits directly on the
transmission w/o any rubber isolation (after market shifter).

The sales person said that the inspection II had just been done, the
inspection light showed 5 green lights, but the "check engine" light is
lit.  Sales person stated that they just had to reset the codes.  Car had
the earlier inspections done, according to the log book.

No signs in the paperwork of any suspension work being done, i.e. RTAB's or
RSM's.  Didn't notice any clunking or looseness in the rear.  Don't think
the car was tracked or autocrossed.

Didn't smell smoke - but the lighter showed signs of being used...guess the
pet smell was stronger than the smoking smell?

Anyway, car is being sold on consignment at the local BMW/VW dealer and the
asking price is $19,850. I was going to offer $18,850, seem fair?  Wife
would really prefer a sedan, but the sedans seem few and far between in the
surrounding area.

Thank you for your time in this matter.