[bmw] 2004 M3 Tires/wheels

I just aquired a new M3.  It has mixed width M double spoke alloy wheels
with 225/45R-18 (front) and 255/40R-18 (rear) performance tires.

Given their not unexpected complete lack of traction on snow, I wonder how
they do on wet roads?  Or, should I just not drive in the rain?  I'm mostly
concerned about hydroplaning.

Also, should I decide to commit the unforgivable sin of driving in the
Winter I'm wondering about snow tires.  The only ones I found were with
BavAuto.  They're on factory wheels and are 225/45-17 both front and back.
Will this work?  The owner's manual seems to suggest that the wheel offset
is different between the front and back but they don't give any technical
data.  They actually say "different recesses" which might only refer to the
wheel well.

I don't really plan on driving it on snowy or slushy roads, but I don't want
to get caught in snow with the performance tires.  I had to drive it through
some snow to get it from the dealership.

	John